Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I am human and I need to be loved, just like anyone else.

Good morning, everyone! Nothing like some Morrissey lyrics to start off the day.

Yes, I am human, and I do need to be loved, just like everyone else in this world. This is something I feel we do not acknowledge enough in our day-to-day lives. Every person on this planet has the same rights, the same needs, as everyone else. And we forget that. We judge people, we get angry with each other, we punish others - when really, it could so easily be any of us on the receiving end.

I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not just as guilty of these things. We ALL are. The murderer on Death Row is angry with the guy in the cell next to his. The morbidly obese woman in leopard print Spandex leggings and a tube top is judging the man in front of her at the grocery store. We're all guilty, and we all need to remember that most basic of human needs - the need to be loved, to be wanted, to be needed.

Fun fact - I watch a LOT of kids' shows on TV. I regularly watch The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Hannah Montana, iCarly, and True Jackson VP. It ASTOUNDS me the amount of mindless violence, insults, and truly horrific situations that occur on these shows. Nickelodeon is the worst. Disney is usually pretty good about solving all problems and everyone being BFFs again at the end of the 30 minutes, but Nick (specifically iCarly) makes me uneasy. The characters are mean to each other, get in fights or do awful non-violent things, like destroying personal property or some such, and are constantly leaving characters in dangerous or scary situations, like being locked in a cage or treehouse for a weekend alone with no food or water, being tortured by an 8-year-old, or getting in car crashes set up on purpose. And never do any of the others see if they're okay, put a stop to whatever it is, or help anyone in any way.

Now, I realize that this is pretty true to life, and why feed kids lies about how the world is, yadda yadda. But doesn't that scare you? That we're teaching our kids to accept violence, anger, and torture as the norm? I grew up on a healthy diet of fairy tales and pretend, where things were always happy and everyone always got what they wanted, and bad people were easily recognized and always got what was coming to them. I still watch kids' shows because I ache for that to be true. I've seen what the world really is, and I long to run back to the Disney princesses and hide behind their skirts where it's safe. But I can't. The world is a bad place full of scary people and horrible things, and the only thing I can do is make my small corner of it better. I do my best, but sometimes the weight of it all is too much and it gets me down. Sometimes I fail and it gets me down. But I still try. I'm still intent on changing it all.

The biggest change of all would be for people to just be nice to each other. That is what all religion is about - compassion. Treating others nicely. Helping out your fellow man. Unfortunately, people have made this almost impossible, what with homeless people spending their money on drugs, hitchhikers killing the people who pick them up, and generally everyone in the world being out to help themselves and no one else. But we can still do it. Be careful and be smart, and it's possible to help people out without endangering yourself. And at the very freaking least, BE NICE TO EACH OTHER. Don't snicker when someone weighing more than you walks by. Don't bite off the head of someone trying to teach you something (I'm working on it, Mom! <3). Don't make assumptions about someone based on appearance when you don't know who they are or where they're coming from. Ask someone if they're all right if they look sad, offer them a hug, listen to their stories. Smile at people as you walk past them. Give compliments. Just... be nice.

A very wise puppet once said, "When you help others, you can't help helping yourself," and he knew what he was talking about. When you do a nice thing, it makes you feel good, and it inspires other people to do nice things as well. Like those commercials where everyone sees someone else do something nice and they do something too, and then the whole world is happy and they want you to buy a car or get insurance or something. But without that last part. The point is, there's a reason why it's the Golden Rule, and why it's the basis of pretty much every religion in the world. Treat others with respect, do good things, be a nice person, and it'll all come back to you - threefold.

(Yeah, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, AND Wicca all in one go! :D)

4 comments:

  1. =/ BUT WE SNICKERED EARLIER!

    You make me feel like a bad person. D;

    ReplyDelete
  2. D: DON'T DO THAT! YOU'RE A GROOD PERSON! <3

    We may have snickered, but we don't do it meanly. We don't say or do mean things to the people we snicker at, and we snicker purely on a superficial level. So it's okay. :D We're still nice people. Right? O_o

    I make me feel like a bad person, too. =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. After years of trying to alter the very suface-level problems of the world through activism, I resolved that being nice in the face of it all is that most effective activism anyone can manage. But I've also accepted that things are the way they are for solid reasons. That doesn't make me less sensitive to misery, but it is something that has brought me peace.
    Snickering is natural as well. Things turn-out a lot worse when we don't recognize that most things people do are hilariously funny at their core. As long as we laugh at everyone equally, there's no shame in that.
    Good post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "As long as we laugh at everyone equally, there's no shame in that."

    I've always lived by that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete