Saturday, September 18, 2010

Today's post is made possible by SCHOOL. Where you LEARN.

I should probably start a segment called "Things That Annoy the Crap Out of Me." Or at least make it a tag or something. =/

Today's TTAtCOoM is college students who a) don't try, b) don't listen, or c) think that the classes should be really easy and they shouldn't actually have to write papers or do homework or, you know, learn anything. I mean, you're PAYING FOR THE CLASS. Why not actually do the work and learn the stuff?

My Spanish class is extremely annoying, for many reasons. It's a 101 class, which means that very few people have actually taken Spanish. That's to be expected - I don't have an issue with people not knowing Spanish right off the bat. BUT. When we do "Como te llama?" and "Me llamo ____" for THIRTY STUDENTS, by the time you get to the 30th, they should have some idea of what's going on. I mean, hearing the teacher ask every person before you "Como te llama?" and hearing EVERY PERSON reply with "Me llamo" and THEIR NAME should kind of give you a clue as to what you're expected to say. You don't even have to know what it means! It's repetition!

There's this girl in my class who was talking about how she wanted to switch out to a different teacher, because OUR teacher had the CRAZY IDEA that actually SPEAKING SPANISH TO US would help us learn. She was like "I hear that the 155 class is taught in English. I mean, she comes in here and starts speaking Spanish and I don't know what she's saying! We don't speak Spanish yet, jeez!" (Not an actual quote.) Apparently the 155 class spends the first few weeks just learning the alphabet. Yes. WEEKS. On the ALPHABET. I would die of boredom in that class. And seriously, what could you possibly learn in a class that spends so long on the basics? If you don't want to learn Spanish, DON'T TAKE SPANISH.

I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't be calling people out like this, but seriously. It really bugs me when I hear students complain about stuff like this. You're paying to learn, okay? So what if the paper due date gets pushed back after you've already finished it? You're done with it, who cares if you have to wait a week to turn it in? Don't complain about stuff like that. And don't be surprised if the teacher expects you to actually take something away from all the hours you spend in class. Why are you even here if you're not expecting to learn? There are lots of people out there who can't afford to go to college, and here you are wasting it. Why even bother going?

It makes me mad. =/ Unfortunately, not everyone in our country is able to get an education, and when I see people BS-ing their way through classes or not doing the work, complaining about the homework or tests or whatever (unless it's actually unfair, like the prof makes really crappy tests), it just upsets me. It's the same for teachers, too - teachers who don't teach right annoy me because I've paid to be here, and you're BEING paid to be here, so why don't we actually get something done in class, eh? I don't want to sit here for an hour and hear you talk about your life when you were a kid, or read in class for an hour, or have you try to trick us on the tests instead of just seeing what we actually know. It's stupid. It cannot be that hard to be a good teacher, really.

Bah. Anyway. That's today's blog post, the first official installment of Things That Annoy the Crap Out of Me. I'm totally making it a thing. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment