Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I dream about sharks an awful lot.

I'm wearing fake glasses as I write this. You know, those glasses with clear plastic lenses that they sell in like, Claire's? I totally have a pair, and they have rhinestones on the corners, and they're awesome, and I'm wearing them.

Anyway. My blog muse suggested I write about dreams I've had, which is a terrific topic because I have the MOST CRACKED OUT DREAMS EVER. Seriously. My subconscious is a crazy person.

When I was little, I used to have a lot of recurring dreams. There were three or four dreams I'd have over and over - not for several nights in a row, but for years, with months in between them. It was weird. And they didn't seem to mean anything, either. There was one dream I always had where I was a little fish, just swimming around being a fish, and then suddenly I looked down ('cause fish can do that) and there were like, fifteen sharks in a circle directly beneath me. I'd race for the surface and they'd chase me and just as I was either about to break free or be eaten, I'd wake up. That sounds like it'd mean something, like being trapped in a situation or being afraid of something, I don't know. But I was little, like eight or so. There wasn't much going on in my life.

Another recurring dream from my childhood, which actually became something of an inside joke for me and my sisters: I'm hanging out in my backyard with my little sister, and we're running around playing or whatever. We get to the back corner of our yard, which is fenced in, and we look back towards the house - and somehow, the entire yard is made of ice. Like, not ice over the grass, it's MADE of ice. There's water underneath us, and we're standing on maybe a foot of solid ice. I'm trying to get my sister to go back to the house, when all of a sudden there's a whipcrack in the air and we look to the other side of the yard, which seems to go on and on at this point, and there's a freaking ESKIMO on a DOGSLED rushing towards us. He looks scary, so I start freaking out. Then my sister points out that underneath the ice, in the water, there are sharks. Apparently I was secretly scared of sharks, I don't know. But as soon as we see the sharks, the ice starts to crack. The Eskimo is getting closer, the sharks are right under us, and the ice cracks. Just before we were about to either fall or get caught, I'd wake up.

Pretty sure I had some other recurring nightmares as a child, but I've also had some amazing one-time dreams. XD They're usually funny and weird. This one time I dreamt about pirates, and I was hanging out with this ridiculously gay pirate, just eating mashed potatoes on his pirate ship. It was weird. I don't even like mashed potatoes that much. O_o

I also had a dream about ice skating with Neil Patrick Harris, then stumbling upon a human sacrifice, escaping it, and returning home to find that a bunch of wizard rock people had mailed me cookies and cupcakes.

I've had nightmares about Doctor Who (the Weeping Angels, need I say more?), Harry Potter (literally, one time I had the dream that's just flashes of green light, a woman screaming, and high cold laughter), and Buffy (the Gentlemen freaked me the eff out). I have dreams about famous people and people I know.

My dreams usually happen like movies - they're vivid, there's music and sound effects and crazy visual effects, and there's usually some sort of either completely insane or intensely epic plot. Like traveling from planet to planet via magic doors, being chased by terrifying Police who look like monks and want to kill you. Or delivering some magic musical instrument to someone in a school run by people I know irl, running up and down staircases that only go in one direction, mourning the loss of a girl I dislike in a Spanish class taught by one of my friends, all the while trying to get this made-up musical instrument to the right person so they can save us all.

My dreams are often the inspiration for stories, sometimes poems, and most recently a book. The ones with good plots, at least. Some of them are just insanity. XD So I kind of like having such an intense imagination, because as long as I dream, I'll have plots for books and stories. And being a writer is what I want, so I guess as long as I dream, I have a shot at my dreams?


... No. Let's just pretend I never said that. :D

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahaa
    AWESOME. This was entertaining :) Thanks for sharing & I'm glad I could help with your blogging Most Days in September... ;)
    Some of those sound very interesting. Eskimos are kind of scary... but I would think of them as huge teddy bears with all those fur layers xD
    It would be kind of fun to analyze the psychology in your dreams. In case that isn't apparent.
    <3
    -Aly

    ReplyDelete