Monday, September 6, 2010

In which I prove just exactly how lame I am, in multiple ways!

Once upon a time, Doctor Who is an awesome show of awesomeness that is awesome. It's basically about an alien, a 900-year-old Time Lord called the Doctor, who can move around time and space in his spaceship which looks like one of those old fashioned Police Call Boxes in England. ANYWAY. So Doctor Who is awesome, but it is oftentimes TERRIFYING. For real, it's about every tenth episode or so where I'm like "OKAY, CAN'T SLEEP NOW, THANKS A LOT DOCTOR WHO." And then I have to watch another episode or read or something and then I'm up till 7AM and it's ALL DOCTOR WHO'S FAULT.

So there are some enemies that keep showing up, most notably the Daleks (ancient enemies of the Time Lords, they're little R2D2 lookin' guys with creepy squishy aliens inside, and their sole purpose in life is to take over everything and exterminate everything that isn't a Dalek) and the Cybermen (human brains minus the whole emotions thing, encased in a robot body, with the sole purpose to upgrade all other humans to Cybermen, and if they resist they get deleted), and they're fairly freaksome, but eventually you just get tired of them, so they're not so scary. BUT. Some of these episodes are just HORRIFYING.

There's an episode where they investigate a planet orbiting a black hole, and underneath they find Satan (yes, THAT Satan). That was scary. The one where the little girl was possessed by some crazy alien spore or something and was capturing people in her drawings - literally. There's one with a giant spider alien, so, you know, I LOVED THAT ONE.

This one episode called "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" where the 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston - every so often the Doctor will get hurt and instead of dying he regenerates and comes back in a new body, which is how the show has been on for like, thirty years) and his companion Rose (ugh, Rose. I used to hate her until DONNA showed up, and then she didn't seem so bad. I FREAKING HATE DONNA, just so you know.) are in the middle of WWII London, where they encounter this horrible little kid with a gas mask on, who the other little kids call The Empty Child. He's just walking around everywhere with his terrifying gas-mask-face, going "Are you my mummy? Mummy? I want my mummy." AND IT IS SO SCARY OMG WHAT EVEN. It ends happily and everything, but for the most part, I watched the episode peeking out between my fingers. =/

But that wasn't as scary as "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead," where the 10th Doctor (DAVID TENNANT HE IS MY FAVORITE I LOOOVE HIIIM) and his companion Donna (I HATE DONNA) go to this library planet (the whole planet is a library - I know, I want to go there too) and discover that all of the people there are gone. There are some explorer people who are there too, and together they try to solve the mystery. TURNS OUT, these shadow creatures, the Vashta Nerada, are devouring people in like, seconds. Yeah. SHADOWS. As in, you can't see them until it's too late, and you have to stay in the light all the time, which of course is impossible because the ceiling is a glass dome and the sun is going down. So YAY. They are scary, too, because they make a sort of electronic ghost in the explorers' walkie-talkies, so after they kill people you can still talk to them and stuff. It's creeepy. O_o

But THAT isn't even CLOSE to how freaking terrifying the Weeping Angels are. Sure, I was careful around shadows and afraid to turn out the lights after the Vashta Nerada. But the Weeping Angels... I was legitimately too scared to sleep after I saw the first episode with them, which is called "Blink" and is in the 10th Doctor's time. And that episode even ends happily. BUT THEN THEY COME BACK.

First, let me explain what a Weeping Angel is and why it is so incredibly scary. They're statues of angels, usually with their hands over their faces like they're crying, but they're actually alive. And they're only stone when you look at them. When you turn around or close your eyes, even to blink, they move. And they move FAST. Like, if they're ten feet away and you blink, they'll be RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. And their faces get all angry looking, with huge gaping mouths and sharp fangs and angry frowny foreheads... they're scary bananas.

"The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone" (I guess the two-parters are really what freak me out the most, huh) is in season 5, the 11th Doctor's (Matt Smith) first season. The Doctor and his new companion, Amy, end up on this planet where these soldier guys are trying to catch this one Weeping Angel in some catacombs. They're all wandering around and some are getting killed and there's all these eroded statues in there, and then it turns out that they're all Angels too. The Doctor figures this out by TURNING OFF THE FLASHLIGHTS and then turning them back on. O_O And also, Amy's in this trailer watching security camera footage of the Angel, and then it starts COMING THE EFF OUT OF THE TV. Turns out whatever captures the image of an Angel turns into an Angel itself, so any pictures or videos will eventually COME ALIVE AND KILL YOU. And Amy looks into its eyes, so I guess her brain made an image of the Angel or something, so she starts turning into one... it's weird. BUT! The Doctor tells her to keep her eyes shut so she won't turn into an Angel. KEEP HER EYES SHUT. WITH 50,000 ANGELS WALKIN' AROUND.

And then he decides it'd be a good idea to go traipsing around in a FOREST, and it's just generally terrifying. I guess it's mostly scary because they keep doing stupid things, but the Angels freak me the eff out. I can't look at statues anymore, but I also can't NOT look, just in case. Oh, Doctor Who, you have ruined me. =/ It's a scary show sometimes, but it is also too awesome for me not to watch it. :D

So yeah! That's my story about how Doctor Who is trying to kill me via heart attack. Right after I watched the 2-part Weeping Angels episodes, my mom nearly scared me to death by simply walking down the hallway. Her shoes were making scary noises and it was dark and I wasn't expecting her... gah, I'm a wimp. ^_^ But still. It's all Doctor Who's fault.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, dude, I love Doctor Who so much, but the scary things in it DO legitimately scare me. Especially the future ones where it's kind of a reflection on life and being human and that terrifies me. Gahh.
    Do you hate horror movies, too? Because my friends think horror movies are awesome, but I do that whole hands-over-eyes-and-fingers-in-ears-simultaneously thing. And cower, generally shaking and peeking out between my fingers. Dr Who isn't that bad, though I have had some moments.
    <3
    -Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Aly - I have a love/hate relationship with horror movies. I sometimes like to watch them, especially really bad ones like Cabin Fever (BEST MOVIE EVER), but I get scared SO easily. =/ Dead Silence scared me so badly I literally had to watch it curled up in my seat with my thumbs in my ears and my eyes covered, screaming at the screen. XD That's just how I roll. ^_^

    Thanks for reading and commenting! Doctor Who FTW! <3

    ReplyDelete