Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Top Five Records - Book Edition :D

I missed yesterday because I was out doing things until like, 11:30, and when I got home I was just too tired. But whatever, I can still Blog Most Days in September! :D

So back in like... June or something, I did a Top 5 list post. One of my favorite movies is High Fidelity, in which John Cusack plays a record store owner who is always making "Top 5" lists. The first post was bands, and this post is going to be books. I will do a Top 5 Books Right Now, and Top 5 Books of All Time. 'Cause that shouldn't be hard, right?! :D

TOP 5 BOOKS RIGHT NOW

1. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
Yes, I am going to make series count as one. It's my blog and I can do what I want. :D But seriously, these books are amazing. They're set in a futuristic-y distopian society, and every year a bunch of kids have to fight to the death for the rest of the country's entertainment and as a reminder that the Capitol can do whatever they want and there's nothing the citizens can do about it. It's amazing, really.

2. The Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray
Ahhhhh I love these books! They're so good, omg. They're set in 1895 in a girls' finishing school in England, and there's magic and other worlds and monsters, and it's just fabulous. :D I love this series. It's the perfect blend of historical fiction, which I think is a good time, and fantasy, and it's well-written and funny and sad and just... awesome.

3. Paper Towns by John Green
I love John Green a lot, thanks to YouTube, but I hadn't actually read any of his books until just recently. Paper Towns is about a boy who likes a girl and randomly has one incredible night with her, but the girl disappears and leaves a bunch of clues so he can find her, which he does. There's all kinds of message-y things and stuff in it, but mostly it's just a really fun story with really adorable characters. It's got an epic road trip, too, which is always fun. :D

4. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
Another book with an epic adventure. I want epic adventures. =/ This girl is basically following her dead aunt's instructions, via the 13 envelopes, for an adventure all around Europe. It's sad and funny and weird and a really good story, and reading all these books about these amazing places and stories just makes the wanderlust worse. =/ But they're still fun.

5. The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld
I haven't actually been reading these lately, but a friend of mine is and her talking about it is making me remember how much I love them. :D Another futuristic distopia, and another epic adventure. In a world where everything is computerized, where hoverboards and tracking rings are standard, and plastic surgery is mandated when you turn 16, a couple of kids run away to live in the wilderness to escape the involuntary brain surgery that comes with the operation. They basically just make you completely shallow and idiotic so you don't question the way things are run. Another book series that shows us a completely ridiculous future to sort of put the way we actually live in perspective. It's very good.

Yes, yes I do read a lot of Young Adult fiction. And I like it. And I also read real books, so hush. :D

TOP 5 BOOKS OF ALL TIME

1. Harry freakin' Potter series by JK freakin' Rowling
Do I really need to say anything?

2. Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
I love this book. I love the epicness, I love the romanticness, and in recent re-readings, I even love the whole Civil War aspect. It's a classic for a reason. Ugh, it's SO GOOD. I love it. The end.

3. The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Um, YES, I still love these books, and NO, I don't care that they're written for children. I love Laura Ingalls Wilder and I want to be her. These books are awesome - the 1800s were awesome, and I want to live like she did. I just basically love everything about these books as well.

4. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
I don't care what you say, I love this book. I need to read it again, actually. It's one of those books I could read over and over and over and still find new meanings and make new connections. It's just amazing.

5. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
This is one book that will always stick with me, primarily because it's awesome, but also because I had to annotate it for a summer reading assignment and my annotations are AMAZING. :D It was one of the first books about Buddhism that I ever read, so it's special in that way too.

BONUS 6. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
This book is also awesome and amazing and about an epic trip and learning things, and it's another book I could probably read forever and still find new stuff in it every time. Oh my goodness, READ THIS BOOK.

I could probably make a Top 100 book list, but I don't think I'll do that now. I am too hungry now. :D But there you have it, a small sampling of books I like. What are your thoughts on them? I'd particularly like to hear what people think of the ones on the All Time list. Tell me your favorite books and why - go! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment